Sunday, December 30, 2012

OMG WE ARE IN FRANCE!!!!

Sat. Dec. 29, 2012

Today Stefan wanted to show us a French town right over the border, about an hour from here.  In French it's called Wissembourg and in Germany they say Weissenburg.  It was a pretty drive, past many vineyards.  This area of Germany is famous for it's wine.  The state we are in is Rhineland-Pfalz.

We arrived in France and the town is so charming, romantic, amazing, quaint!  Wunderbar!  (That was from Stefan who agrees I need more vocabulary to describe things around here!)  I will try to narrow down my pictures, but it's going to be very hard!
Our first glimpse of the town :)

In front of a bakery where we got some croissants.  Of course.
Brad eating a croissant in France.  Awesome.
 Look at this town!  I want to live here.



There was a little market with a few vendors in the city square.  We found some french soaps and got some. How cool is that?  French soaps!  (I know I sound dramatic, but this town was really wonderful.)

Lea photobombed the pic of me buying French soaps
In the city square

The little market
We walked around and found a super old building called the salt house.  It used to be used to store salt which was in demand long ago.  It is one of the coolest buildings I have ever seen.
The salt house was first a hospital, in 1448.  1448 People!  OMG!!!

A very interesting roof
Beautiful and old beyond comprehension!
We went to a beautiful church.  The Church of Sts. Peter and Paul.  Again, so old, I can not even comprehend.  These buildings were here before our country was even a country.



Inside was very ornate.
Lighting a candle for Megan <3

The bricks were made of sandstone.  Very colorful and beautiful.




I really wanted to stay and live in this town.

The city hall



 Canal in front of the salt house


Salt house on the left
Salt house.  Again.  I can't get enough.




We found this little garden, I don't know what it was for, but it was open to the public.



I was totally in awe of the charm of this little town.  And while we were there, it was so quiet!  Not many people out, peaceful.  Such an amazing day so far!  And to think, it wasn't even over yet.

Stay tuned for part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment